You Can’t Cheat Gravity
You can’t cheat gravity.
- When an object is dropped – it’s path is vertical and perpendicular to the earth.
- The same rule applies with mostly all lifts.
- Any horizontal movement forward or backwards lengthens the path and increases the risk of injury.
- As you can see with the landmine barbell – when I’m holding the barbell vertically it feels light.
- As I shift forward and change the angle of the barbell away from the lever – the weight appears heavier and it becomes more difficult to resist falling forward away from the midpoint.
- Not only does this apply to weightlifting but also to our body mechanics (I’ll elaborate in a different post).
- Good technique is very similar. It is the ability to maintain zero movement between the mid-foot balance point.