MAM Podcast S01EP16: Exercise for Parkinson’s & Strength Training for Runners
Question #1: I have a couple of clients with Parkinson and also clients over the age of 80+.
As you know, most doctors aren’t easy to get on board with pro active health care. I remember in one of your presentations (either Winter Seminar or a staff meeting) you showed some research, backing up the effectiveness of the MBSC training.
Can you please send me the reference or do you have any books or other research I could share with doctors to get them on board?
– The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge
– The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery by Sam Kean
– Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey MD
– Visualization & Meditation = Mirror Neurons
– Let movement be thy medicine. Let mindset be thy medicine. Let nature be thy medicine. Let medicine be thy medicine.
Question #2: What are your key considerations when training endurance athletes? I’m specifically interested in learning about how you approach both strength and conditioning for clients who are preparing for long-distance running events like the marathon.
- Coach Matt Dixon
- Buckets for Endurance: Run, Bike, Swim / Recovery / Nutrition & Fueling/ Strength
- Training Buckets: Mobility / Strength / Power / Conditioning
- Be A Bucket Filler by Michael Boyle
- The Bucket Hierarchy by Brendon Rearick
- Track mileage and foot contacts
- The 10% Rule… don’t increase more that 10% in distance or intensity per week
- Functional Training for Runner by Kevin Carr
- Make Small Jumps by Michael Boyle
- Endurance athletes are almost always in-season
- Relationships, Relationships, Relationships! Have many conversations.
Book Club recommendation:
- Kevin: Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom by Katherine Eban
- Brendon: Why Michael Couldn’t Hit: And Other Tales of the Neurology of Sports by Harold L. Klawans
Where you can find us next:
- Upcoming Level 2 CFSC events – Boston, Chicago then Reading, PA
- Perform Better Summits – Chicago July 15th – 17th then Providence August 26th – 28th